Friday, August 6, 2010

Jeremy's 3rd Birthday Party

Sunday, we had the priviledge and blessing of celebrating our son, Jeremy's, 3rd Birthday.  We had a HUGE party planned for him.  We began our Sunday as we do each Sunday.  We attended 8:30AM Mass at our parish, St. Joan of Arc.  The readings were very impactful this week and both my husband and I chatted about them on our way to visit Savannah.  We stopped and had breakfast since this was such a special day and then headed over to the cemetary.  Jeremy insisted on getting out of the car.  Usually, we are a little hesistant to let him out because like any 3 year old, he likes to run off and play with some of the pinwheels and other items left on other headstones. 

It's funny because I remember the day we picked out Savannah's plot.  I told myself I would never be one of those people who decorated their child's headstone or had a bunch of "stuff" on it.  Yet, 15 months later, I am that parent.  It's very important to me for some reason to make sure Savannah always has the biggest prettiest flowers.  I'm not sure why because she is no less important or loved than any other baby in that Children's Garden.  I guess it's because I can't dress her in pretty clothes or put bows on her hair (if you haven't guessed by now, I have a wierd obession with little girls having bows in their hair).  All I can do is make sure that her headstone is clean of dirt and debris, her flowers look fabulous, and pick all of the weeds.  Anyway, back to Sunday.

Jeremy walked up to Savannah's headstone and knelt down and kissed her picture.  He has done this a few times before but today, it really warmed my heart.  He told Sissy about his party and asked her to watch over him today.  When asked where Sissy lives, he replies "in Heaven's House."  I'll take that.  He blew a kiss up to the sky and my eyes filled up with tears.  This time, it was not because I was sad about missing Savannah, but how proud I was of Jeremy for including his sister in his joys and celebrations.

We came home and the party preparations began.  Food was prepared, balloons were blown up, a bounce house was set up, and the floor was swept again.  I have learned that cleaning before a party is pretty useless.  You'll find out why soon.



The party began and it looked like the weather was going to hold up.  It began sprinking just a little but the kids didn't seem to mind.  We were able to serve food and moved the cake outside.  Just as people finished the cake and ice cream, it began to pour!  Everyone hurried inside which worked out well for the opening of presents ritual.  I'm sure you can imagine what happened to the floor as 45 soaking wet people came inside.



The party was a great success and everyone enjoyed themselves.  The following day, the dogs got ahold of the leftover cake, so it's safe to say that they enjoyed themselves too.  It was so much fun and we are so blessed to have so many friends who came to share the day with us.  The most important person Jeremy shared his day was with his sister.  Even though she's not here physically, he thought to include her.  As a Mom, I have never been more proud of my son....or my daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment