Sunday, July 25, 2010

Turning a corner

It has been awhile and I am trying to catch up with everything that has happened.  Things seem to be turning a corner.  I still have my sad moments but they are not taking over my life.  I have started doing some guided meditations for infertility and they seem to be helping, if nothing else, me to relax.  I also went and got one titled "Anger and Forgiveness."  It is helping me let go of some of the anger and resentment that has been taking over my heart for the last year.  We'll see if it really works with time, but I am hopeful.


So, there are some very exciting things that have been happening:


We finished our training to become Foster Care/Adoptive Parents through social services.  We are very excited about the addition of one or more children in our home.  Our goal for each child is to have them leave our home a little bit better than when they arrived, whether it's learning to say please and thank you or being able to make eye contact.  We are so excited to begin this journey!


My trip to DC yeiled some interesting turns of events.  Congressman Rob Wittman's office contacted me about what happened at Langley.  The result was filing a Congressional Inquiry to the Department of the Air Force in DC against Langley.  I don't know what will come of it, but I can only hope some policy changes.  I also made the difficult decision to file a complaint against the doctor's medical license in Virginia.  It took me a long time to come to that decision, but I felt it was the best thing.  She needs to know that her actions were wrong and had deadly consequences.  I know she will have to deal with God in the end, but her attitude and statements in the Patient Care Conference have really upset me and lead me to believe that she hasn't learned any lessons from Savannah or what happened.


I have been working on a summer project!  I am making Bereavment Baskets for Mary Immaculate Hospital, the local Catholic Hospital in Newport News, VA.  These baskets are specifically for those who come to the hospital for a seemingly routine purpose, but receive the same earth shattering news that I received ~ that they will be coming home without their baby.  I have received some donations, but I have a long way to go.  If you know of anyone or any business that would like to donate, please email me.  I would like to have these done by the end of August.




Here is a copy of the ad I made:

I am putting together baskets for Mary Immaculate Hospital to support parents of stillborn or neonatal death. When moms go in to be checked for insignificant things and realize that their baby has passed or has a condition uncompatible with life, their world changes forever. When this happened to me, I received a box with items that had nothing to do with my daughter. There was a pouch for a clipping of her hair that was never used, a resouce list that was not up to date, and nothing special that spoke to me or was meaningful.

 

Therefore, my goal is to supply MIH with 30 baskets specifically for parents facing an unexpected loss. These baskets will include:

* disposable camera

* handmade baby blanket for parents to keep (donated)

* special onesie

* candle & candle holder

* Forget-Me-Not Seeds

* Teddy Bear

* picture frame

* personalized card

* clay hand & footprint kit

* Remember Me Bear Certificate (donated)

* Certificate of Life

* current list of local and national resources

* autographed book "Hope for Parents Who Have Lost Children" (donated)

 

If there is anything that you or your company can donate to support this project, it would be greatly appreciated. Each and every day all across the world, parents leave the hospital with empty arms. Please support me in this project to bring a little bit of comfort to those in a time of great sorrow.
 
Also, I got my Junior League Placement for next year. I am so excited to be on the committee for the Girls of Excellence Program! Here is a little bit about the program:

Through our continued partnership with South Morrison Elementary School, the JLHR hosts events during the school year for 5th grade girls, who are enrolled in the Girls of Excellence program. The events focus on life skills, citizenship, and features the AJLI Kids in the Kitchen program. New this year, a separate women's health educational component for mothers and guardians of Girls of Excellence participants will take place, to allow trained community professionals to provide education around women's health and screenings. The most exciting event of the school year is the cotillion, held at the end of the school year.


So, I think that covers everything that I have been up to so far this summer. We are settling into the new house and getting ready for Jeremy's 3rd Birthday Party next weekend! It should be a great day and we are super excited! I hope that this blog finds you in good health and good spirits.




Until next time,
Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to help you with the baskets Shannon! My husband is deploying in mid-August, so I am distracted right now, but let me know what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what you are talking about woman!! you are a beautiful writer! you had me in tears here @ home. you stroy is so touching and sad! Savannah was a beautiful baby, and I am so glad that she brought your family closer together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy!!! :-) good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo happy you posted your story on faces of loss!!! such a beautiful, sad story.

    ReplyDelete