Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sharing Savannah's Life...

For the 3rd year in a row, I was asked to speak on the Parent Panel for the training seminar "When A Baby Dies."  Last week, over 100 people (nurses, chaplains, social workers) all got to hear about Savannah and learn the lessons that I wished Langley had learned.  Every time I have told her story, someone comes up and asks me if my doctor ever apologized to me for what happened and sadly, I have to tell that person no.  Everyone feels badly for the way I was treated, but more importantly, I think people need to hear what happened so if they are in that situation, they can do better and learn from the mistakes and failures of Langley.  This time, my Mom was in town and able to hear me speak and took a few pictures.

It's something that I'm happy to talk about because while sharing Savannah's life, I am hopefully helping to ensure that no one else has to experience what I went through after losing my daughter.  While I realize no one knows the "right" thing to say, there is a long list of things that while well-meaninged, are very hurtful.  The speech was a success and more and more people have let Savannah into their hearts.

Afterwards, my Mom and I headed to the Olive Garden for lunch and a much needed drink.




And here is my "Mommy of the Year" picture!


In case you are wondering or going to be visiting the Olive Garden in the near future, the drink special is called Toasted Marshmellow Amore and is the closest thing to a grown up alcoholic chocolate milk.  It's so yummy I found the recipe and have been making them at home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also with GOL (wow, it's gotten big...which is bittersweet!) and came saw your blog and loss info...I'd love to say that I was shocked and surprised by military facility negligence, but after 15 years as a military spouse, sadly...I cannot. Which is pretty much the main reason I am standard and refuse to even contemplate military healthcare for much at all.

    That said, I'm so sorry for your loss. I love that you say she's not lost, though...she's in Heaven! I say that as well—when people call me a BLM (and I know, it's such a widely used term, what else really is there?) I always think, "But he's not lost. He's in Heaven." You lost her a few months before I lost my son (November) and it seems as if her little sister was born just a day (and a year, ha ha...he's 1-4-11) before my Matthew's little brother Luke was born. And agreed with you...we are so, so blessed.

    I'm one of those who scream at the top of their lungs on FB (mainly because all three of my pregnancies—I'm currently 7 weeks right now) have been IVF (Shady Grove!!!) and we have coveted prayers of all we could through each cycle. You go through all that...sharing with people all the details of the cycle (yes, I know..sometimes I feel like I give too much, but the support we receive is always so comforting and amazing!) sort of lends itself to people expecting to know if the transfer worked!!! We actually just recently had a little scare, and I truly believe the people storming Heaven as they did helped give us a miracle! But you are right...everyone does what is best for them...for their family...and mostly, for their heart. They are already so, so fragile!

    But full. And I'm grateful. Nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete