Thursday, September 9, 2010

Infant Bereavement Kits have been delivered!!

It has been a long summer and as always, my family and I have been very busy with activities.  We very much enjoy the hustle and bustle of life and are always up for a new adventure.  This summer, with Jeremy busy with camp, I decided that I needed a summer project.  There is an earlier post about the making of the infant bereavement kits.  It was a challenge to say the least, but I started the project and gave myself an end date of Labor Day.

Well, I am 3 days late on my delivery, but these kits were delivered tonight to the head of the Labor & Delivery unit at Mary Immaculate Hospital in Newport News, VA.  I had been talking to the Chaplain at the hospital and she knew these kits were in the works but I was eager to get them out of the house since there, they cannot help anyone.

The nurses were very gracious and grateful and seemed surprised that these were put together by a Mom with no agenda other than to help another family, or 30 to be precise.


The final breakdown was this:

Infant Bereavement Kit Contents:

* Handmade Baby Blanket
* Disposable Camera
* Ink Pad & Cardstock for hand & foot prints
* Forget-Me-Not seeds
* Autographed Book "Hope for Parents Who Have Lost Children"
* Brochure and Coupon for "Remember Me Bears"
* Current list of local and online resources
* Personal Letter of Support

The bags were divided and seperated based on the contents.  Of the 30 bags:

* 6 preemie (for 18-22 weekers) bags ~ 2 boys, 1 girl, 2 gender neutral, and 1 bag for twins
* 24 regular sized bags ~ 9 boys, 10 girls, and 5 gender neutral



I would like to thank everyone who supported me in this project:

* Sweet Pea Project for donating the blankets
* Geoffrey Jowett for discounting the books and autographing each one
* Gale Rendon from Remember Me Bears
* The Marshall Family
* Anyone who supported me with prayers and encouragement

My hope is that these kits will bring peace and confort in a time of great distress and pain.  This is one of the best ways I could think of to honor Savannah.  I know that she works through me each and every day to make a difference in the lives of others.  I am honored to share her treasures and although I miss her dearly, I know she is safe and warm and I will see her again someday.

What have you done today to make someone else's life brighter?  Sometimes all it takes is a smile.

“Sometimes your best success comes after your greatest disappointment.”

Blessings to you!
~ Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment